Sunday 13 May 2012

Britain Collected

As part of a separate module on my photography course we were given the opportunity to take up a complimentary study alongside our other projects. I was very pleased when I got my first choice of curation.
Curating is something I have started to think about in terms of a career after graduating. Photography is such a competitive industry that I think it is good to have other options when looking into jobs and curating would allow me to stay within an artistic and creative field.
The module required us to work as a team taking on individual roles to put together a real exhibition inspired by the Sinoption exhibitions happening across Plymouth which were using the themes of cultural identity, specifically chinoiserie. Further information can be found on the Sinopticon website.
Our idea evolved into British cultural identity and came to be known as 'Britain Collected' featuring work by Jane PerkinsJohn HindePhil Nicholls, and a collection of British Vogue covers.
Overall the project was a success and a process which I really enjoyed, enforcing my feeling on possibly following curation as a career path. It will be something I look into doing again, perhaps taking on and trying some of the different roles as my task was purely marketing this time.
A beneficial and enjoyable module!


The flyer I designed for distribution.




A couple of images from the private view taken by Alice Scally a fellow member of the Curate group.

We also had an article in the Herald newspaper which can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment